Tuesday 29 January 2013

Final Destination

There are times where moments of awe and wonder hit you like a freight train. I’ve never actually been hit by a freight train but I can imagine the feeling. I had one of those moments while I was landing in Toronto.

The sun was setting in this beautiful array of colours, orange, red and purple as far as the horizon stretched. The magnificence of the creator was there, painting on the landscape. Over the PA system the flight attendant was giving final instructions for the landing. In the midst of her welcoming to us to Toronto she said something that I’ve heard many times before in my travels.

WestJest would like to welcome you to Toronto. If Toronto is home, welcome, if you are continuing further here are the gates for the following connections. Thank you for flying WestJet and we bid you farewell to wherever your final destination may be”

I’ve heard that last sentence dozens of times “Final Destination”. But for some reason it struck me funny recently. I've traveled a fair amount over the last few years. Congo, Turkey, Ireland, San Francisco, Germany. Which one of these would be final? Is home my final destination? My mind then wondered to eternity. It made me reflect on what is our final destination? In the end what purpose does this trip serve? Am I a follower of Christ simply as a matter of fire insurance? Or is there a great reason behind all of this?

What is your end game plan? What are you working towards? Are we simply put on this earth to collect toys, grow old and die? My belief system won’t let me do that. I’m now 31 years old, but yet I feel I’ve wasted so many years doing nothing.

God woke me up with a big slap on the back of my head. God has something planned for you.

But are you listening?


No comments: