Saturday 7 April 2012

Lest We Forget

Do you remember? Did you forget? Consider not just how you got to where you are today but WHO helped you get to where you are today.

My bad. I admit it, I forgot. A little lady 5 foot 1, petite frame with that Newfie wild in her eyes. Gloria House was my first mentor in active youth ministry. I completed my practicum at a church in the East end of Calgary under her watchful eye. Two weeks ago I visited her in Blackfalds, I’m glad I made the call because she didn’t have much longer to live.

I sat down on her bed and she hadn’t changed a bit, well physically she had but that mischievous glimmer in her eye confirmed that her spirit had not. I asked her a litany of questions and was amazed at all that she was doing in her community and the impact she was still having with youth. Gloria started an after school program for students in Blackfalds Alberta. She was working with over a hundred students from the community and at the same time raising up other leaders. When her health turned for the worst, the centre was already in someone else’s care never skipping a beat.

After I returned home the next day, I read this dreaded passage in Genesis.

The chief cupbearer, however, did not remember Joseph; he forgot him. Genesis 40:23

For how long? Two full YEARS!

Holy Spirit asked me, “Alison, who have you forgotten? Who has helped you get to where you are today that you have not remembered?” As I reflected on that question, Gloria came to mind and I realized so much of what I’m doing today is what she had modeled and mentored me in. Gloria was crazy creative and inventive, her heart was for community kids. She was a foster parent, and enjoyed youth who didn’t fit into the Christian cookie cutter mold. I remember hearing about fights breaking out on youth nights with the Jr. High group that she oversaw. No Friday night was ever boring. Nothing in my education could prepare me for this but Gloria did. I watched Gloria handle situations with a firmness but always extending grace. She was small, but powerful and students respected and loved her.

“Who have you forgotten? Who has helped you get to where you are today that you have not remembered?”

I didn’t realize it until now but I am where I am today because of her influence. As I describe her, I see me! I see God’s hand in it all and how he intentionally put me in her care. Gloria didn’t hesitate to cross over religious rules in the church to reach and love students just like Jesus did. To this day, I am partial to Ragamuffin youth and I’m willing to do whatever it takes to get the message of truth and love through. Though we’ve been a part for over 10 years. I marvel at how I’ve followed in her steps without even knowing it.

Holy Week is a time of reflection looking back and remembering what we dare not forget; Christ’s work on the cross which is why we are where we are today. In this process of detoxing Egypt, so that we can move forward, stop to take a moment to see God’s hand in your life and the specific people he brought across your path to mentor you in the way HE wants you to go.

Who have you forgotten. Who helped you get to where you are today? Perhaps you remembering could be a turning point for them. Phone that person, email them, or leave a message on facebook to let them know you have not forgotten them and that you are thankful for how they’ve shaped your life. Lest We Forget.

Youth Speaker, Writer and Founder of the Young Woman of Power Conference, Alison is Inspiring Teen Greatness with a focus on youth in the community. With 15 years of experience her mission is to raise up a Generation of Confident Youth.

http://www.inspiringteengreatness.com

Honouring the life of Gloria House an incredible youth worker and role model recently awarded by her Community the Legacy Award.





May 12 1952 – April 05, 2012

No comments: