Wednesday 25 April 2012

When I grow up I want to be...LIKE DAD! .

When you ask a young child what he wants to be when be when he grows up, the usual response is something rather glamourous: a musician, an athlete, a cop, a firefighter, or movie star. Then, as the child becomes a teen, it's sometimes more about success and money-earning potential as opposed to fame: doctor, dentist, lawyer, accountant, engineer, or teacher.

So I was thrilled, flattered, humbled, and very surprised a few years ago when Sean showed me a piece of school-work where he said that he wanted to be a Youth Worker! His reasoning?

"Because I get to work with grade 7s and I get to set up for Youth Day and I get to play basketball and I get to do lots of fun activities and I get to work past my bedtime."

I was proud that Sean took an active interest in what Daddy did for a living, though I was slightly concerned that he'd noticed my irregular sleep pattern.

It reminds me of a story I tell in speaking on the topic of child-like faith and imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.  I am flattered that he knows what I do and what I am passionate about.

We were getting dressed for an outing recently and Sean came running up to me wearing a golf shirt and shorts. Looking handsome, he said to me, "Look Dad...I'm in youth ministry!" So I quickly replied, "Oh...so you don't make any money either???"


Clayton Imoo is husband to Gail and father to sons Sean Isaiah and Jacob Isaac and daughter Kayla Marie.  He has served as the Director of the Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver for the past ten years.  Learn more about him at http://www.claytonimoo.com or follow him @claytonimoo

No comments: