Tuesday 11 December 2012

In someone else's shoes.

At the end of November my wife went to Uganda for 17 days to look after some orphans with Watoto.  That has left me alone with my two year old son for that time.  My son is absolutely awesome and makes me laugh all the time.  That being said, having to watch him on my own for that period of time has given me a ton of respect for single parents everywhere.  I've had a massive ton of help from both sets of grandparents which made the two and half weeks not that bad, but it's still been a lot of extra work.

Often I find myself looking at my life through the very tight lense that is my existence, world view and current setting.  I feel like I try and stay on top of the issues in the world, but having this extremely small taste of single parenthood has made respect, have patience for, and generally increased empathy for.  Even these two weeks and small understanding isn't even close to what other people go through.  I know at the end of this week Jenn is coming back and we'll be able to share the responsbilities again.  Even that small fact makes this whole thing easier to handle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think a lot of time we as people tend to be extremely shortsighted, judgmental and lack empathy towards others.  If you find yourself in that position maybe try and find a way that can take you out of your comfort zone and do something to give you a different perspective on life.  Ever have that feeling when you drive up to an instersection that you go through everday from a different direction?  Try do replicate that somehow in real life.  Volunteer your time, offer to watch someones kids for a weekend, go on a trip and experience some local flavour.

God made this gigantic world we live in, and the people in it are even more diverse than you can imagine.  This week try and gain a different perspective on life.  Come at it from a different angle.

No comments: