Saturday 15 September 2012

Going Slow with Dr. Low

Normally when I blog about slowing down I'm talking about us, but what if God is sometimes willing to slow down for His dear children, especially if we are wearing or depressed or struggling with life?

I was hastily walking through a parking lot this evening as I often do, leaving my children far behind and asking them to hurry up.  Suddenly my 4 year old cried out, "I need to hold your hand daddy."  I stopped for him to catch up to me and said to him, "Brayden, I need you to keep up with me so you don't get hit by a car in this busy parking lot."  "I know," he said, "That's why I need to hold your hand because then we'll go the same speed."

When my son uttered these simple but profound words it made me think about my relationship with God the Father.  Sometimes it feels like He is way ahead of me or I'm way behind.  Perhaps that's my choice or His or maybe it's just life.  But what if I hold His hand?  What if I ask Him to take my hand?

When my son held my son in the parking lot today it made him speed up a little bit and I, as a loving father, slowed down a bit to be sensitive to his speed.  Well goodness knows God is far more sensitive and patient than I am so if I'm dragging my feet a little perhaps God understands this and is willing to hold my hand and proceed with the speed of grace.

How are you walking through life?  Are you falling behind God, are you running ahead of Him, are you walking beside but at a safe distance or are you holding His hand?

No comments: