Friday 7 September 2012

Time to Leave

"How do you know when it's the right time to step out (leave) the local youth ministry you're involved in?"

That is one of the top five questions I get asked on a regular basis from paid youth workers. After I probe with a few questions of my own regarding the youth workers life holistically (physical, emotional, spiritual, social and intellectual), this gives me a clearer picture.

  1. So why don't you just resign? Once I ask this question I'm always surprised by the answer, even though the answer never changes youth worker from youth worker. And that answer is, "I can't leave the kids!" This answer comes in many forms but the context is always about the kids. Or the other answer is one that usually not verbalized, "I don't have any other job/income prospects and this is a pay cheque regardless of how bad my situation may be." Both of these answers show a complete lack of faith and trust in the God that you have been teaching your kids about.
  2. What are those trusted people around you saying? One youth worker poured his heart out to me about his ministry struggles and we went through #1 and once we arrived here he explained that he was getting mixed messages from those he had been seeking advice from. Sometimes those around us can give us solid advice but you need to know that those people you are asking advice from are walking closely with God and that they recognize God's voice when he speaks. Those are the people you need to get advice from. Another time I asked a youth worker if he was married and what their spouse was saying about his situation? They told me that their spouse had been attending another church for 3 months. 
  3. What is God saying? Now I realize that this should be #1 but as you are processing the above question God usually gets replaced by our survival instincts. This is not a bad thing as long as God doesn't stay there. When I have been in similar situations I have never heard God clearly say "GO!" or "STAY!" Because the noise of the situation has become too loud. For me it has always come down to peace. Do I have the peace from God to leave? This may take a few hours or a few days. But if you remove the noise from #1 and #2 and focus your heart, mind soul and strength on God and ask for God's peace on a specific direction, he will answer you.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight


People are hired for the strengths and fired for their weaknesses. - Charles Price, The Peoples Church

People either move on or they are moved on. - Marv Penner, Youth Specialties Canada

Jeff Smyth is a youth worker who has been involved in both the local church and non-profit areas of Canada. He works with DOXA Toronto, providing resources, training and coaching for local churches. Jeff lives in Toronto with his wife Heather and son Nathan. Jeff's blog ThinkYouthMinistry.com

No comments: