Tuesday 3 December 2013

The Greatest Disqualifier in Youth Ministry: Lack of Preparation


Image Credit: Values.com
When I was in Boy Scouts, they had a motto that stemmed from the founder, Robert Baden-Powell:

Be prepared.

It meant to be at the ready in both mind and body to do one's duty, having the discipline and wherewithal to know the right thing to do at the right moment, and have the right skills and mindset to actually...you know...do it. (I was never a great Scout. I'd just giggle every time someone said "duty.")

I was recently talking with a friend about the various struggles we face in youth ministry, and the following statement came tumbling out of my mouth:

"The greatest disqualifier for legitimacy in youth ministry is a lack of preparation."

I said it as a passing comment, but it stuck in my mind.

Organizationally, many in youth ministry have the reputation of "winging it." Through making last minute requests, turning in forms and request past deadlines, and having poor budgeting and calendaring skills, a person with a great heart for people loses traction due to slapdash methodologies.

Emotionally and relationally, a number of leaders in youth ministry burn out due to lack of healthy boundaries, inability to deal with criticism, or the drain of carrying others' burdens on their own shoulders. They weren't prepared to handle the emotional weight of ministry, and buckled under the load. Perhaps they weren't prepared with healthy boundaries, and fell into sexual sin and temptation.

Spiritually, we too often become branches disconnected from the vine of Christ, trying our best to be spiritual leaders without finding regular rest and rejuvenation in the One who gives us abundant life.

I wonder if our tribe's lack of preparation is connected to an inadequate vision of one's duty.

Let me unpack that.

Our duty--our calling from God into ministry as shepherds and spiritual guides and disciple-makers and teachers and leaders--stems from God, and God alone. When I am relying on my own strength and energy and efforts to accomplish ministry tasks and functions, I begin to lose perspective on what matters most and who God has created me to be. When I am humbled and must rely on God for His strength and wisdom and grace, I'm reenergized to dive back into who God has created me to be and what He's created me to do, and to prepare accordingly. 

I can only prepare if I know who I am and where I'm headed, what I'm supposed to be doing in the first place. If I'm a hockey player, I show up to the game prepared with a certain set of skills and equipment. Those are very different skills and equipment if I'm going to play basketball. Or practice guitar. Or preach a sermon. Or lead a small group discussion. Or sit across from a student in a coffee shop and just be present with them.

2 Timothy 4:2 says to be prepared in season and out of season. For what? Preaching the Word of God; correction, rebuke, and encouragement, with great patience and careful instruction. This doesn't just mean "stand on a stage and preach a message." It requires a knowledge and love of Scripture that soaks into our minds and hearts and leaks out in our everyday lives. Spiritual disciplines and practices matter--they're called practices because they're meant for training, rehearsing, polishing the rough edges of our souls. When we're not practiced and prepared, when we've forgotten to hone the skills and bring the right equipment, when we ignore our identity and vocation, we disqualify ourselves from effective ministry with others.

So youth ministry tribe: let's strive to be prepared, in season and out of season, to do our duty with those we're called to shepherd and love in the name of Jesus. 

And let's make sure to giggle every single time someone says "duty." It's our...well...duty.

What do you think? Agree or disagree with my statement? What practices are you trying to stay prepared in youth ministry?

--
Joel Mayward is a pastor, writer, husband, and father living in Langley, British Columbia. He’s been serving in youth ministry since 2003, and is currently the Pastor of Youth and Young Adult Ministries at North Langley Community Church. A writer for numerous youth ministry publications and author of Leading Up: Finding Influence in the Church Beyond Role and Experience, Joel writes about youth ministry, film, theology, and leadership at his blog, joelmayward.blogspot.ca.

No comments: