Sunday 9 February 2014

Fasting Isaiah 58 style

I'm writing this from the the beautiful west coast, Vancity. I've traveled out here a ton in my lifetime (lived in Whistler over a decade ago), yet  I never tire of how stunning God's creation is. There's just something so awe inspiring of the mountains.

The beauty of creation is one thing we have in common with everyone regardless of race, religion or economic status. However, unfortunately the earth has been destroyed in a lot of places. There is suffering because of the way we've treated the earth and our rate of consumption. We have contributed to droughts, floods, tsunamis and typhoons.

Isaiah 58 calls us to the kind of fasting that loosens the chains of injustice:


6-9 (MSG) "“This is the kind of fast day I’m after: to break the chains of injustice, get rid of exploitation in the workplace, free the oppressed, cancel debts. What I’m interested in seeing you do is: sharing your food with the hungry, inviting the homeless poor into your homes, putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad, being available to your own families."


This is a fast of poverty! How cool. 

At the end of that passage its says we will experience God through this. What actions can you do with you youth so they experience Jesus in this way? Here's a few fun ideas taken from page 10 of the 30 Hour Famine 101 Guide:





About me: I live a pretty simple life... trying to love God and treat others as good as myself... I epically fail at this but mercifully God loves me anyway... different cultures inspire me... the outdoors is my passion... I'm pursuing my MDIV / Masters in Counselling at Tyndale... I spent 22+ years in the skate / snowboard / entertainment / marketing / retail industry at the executive level... led the charge at West 49/Billabong for 12 of them... I've worked in youth ministry leadership roles for more years then I can count.. after many moons in the corporate world I switched to the dark side and am currently the Manager of Youth & Student Campaigns at World Vision Canada... but more then anything I love giving my heart to mentoring and helping youth! #lovelife #dreambig #keepitreal #socialjustice #jesusjustice I/T @cindymielke facebook.com/cindymielke

No comments: