Wednesday 8 February 2012

Creating Soundtracks for God: An Interview with Matt Maher

I've been blessed to know songwriter and recording artist Matt Maher for over 15 years.  It's truly been amazing seeing him grow from being a music minister at his home church in Arizona to a successful international touring artist.  But through it all, he's remained remarkably humble and down-to-earth.


In anticipation of his return to Vancouver on February 17 for a concert (more on that at the end of the interview), I had a chance to chat with him about faith, family and music.


1..Tell readers a bit about yourself (birthplace, family, schooling, where you currently live, how much you travel, etc)

I was born in St John's, Newfoundland and I lived there for 20 years.  I’ve been in Phoenix, Arizona for the past 17 years.  I got married a year and a half ago, and my wife Kristin and I have a five month-old son named Conor.  I'm on the road a fair amount as touring season usually runs from February through May and October through November.  There are also other things that come up along the way; it's a calling and it's hard at times, but serving the Church this way is a unique and amazing opportunity, and it's a sacrifice that my family and I are making together in this season of life

2.  What do you enjoy most about song writing, performing and touring?

DEFINITELY seeing how the Church is being the hands and feet of Christ, as well as hearing about how God uses songs to inspire and bring about change in people's hearts and lives.  I feel like the songs I write are just a soundtrack for that...God is doing all the hard work :)

3.  When did you decide that you could do music full time?  Was there a turning point?

I think I've been deciding every day for 17 years now to love God and follow Him.  Music was just a way that came naturally. In terms of a "profession", that part wasn't as much a "calling" as it was more of a practical consideration given the talents I was given that I loved and excelled at.  Along the way, there have been "signposts" in life, I think, encouraging me to keep going.  I mean, it would be great to do something in life that you're passionate about (but you're actually not good at it) AND make a living.




4.  What excites you about returning to Vancouver?  What are some of your favourite memories of Vancouver?

I'm Canadian!  Isn't that reason enough?  I LOVE VANCOUVER!  I love the people, the diversity; I love the Church there.  Honestly, the church in Vancouver is very vibrant and alive; and the food is fantastic! ;)

5.  Tell us about your most recent album “The Love in Between”.  Any particular influences or consistent themes?

Um, life? :) I fell in love and got married; that was a HUGE influence. I met a lot of people who are having a harder and harder time "connecting the dots" between faith, life, worship, the economy, etc. This album was an attempt to express my heart while trying to meet the average listener where they are, and take them on a journey.

6.  What are some blessings/challenges of being a Catholic on the contemporary Christian music scene?


Honestly, at this point, there aren't any challenges. There are questions, and misunderstandings, but I've seen all of that as an opportunity to both grow in charity and humility and to grow in my understanding of my faith and how to describe it to not only other Christians, but people who don't even know about Jesus as a historical figure.

7.  What can concert goers look forward to during your Friday night concert?

A great night that is entertaining, engaging, and gives them an opportunity for them to maybe have an encounter with God.

8.  How can we pray for you?

Please pray for my family. People pray for me all the time because they listen to my music or come see a concert. Please pray for the families of artists that you like.  It's a huge sacrifice of love, and we need the prayers and support of the Church.


The Matt Maher Concert is at the Vancouver Convention Centre on Friday, February 17, starting at 7:30pm (doors opening at 7pm). Tickets are $18 each.  For info or to buy tickets contact Clay at cimoo@rcav.org.


Clayton Imoo is husband to Gail and father to sons Sean Isaiah and Jacob Isaac and daughter Kayla Marie.  He has served as the Director of the Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver for the past ten years, helping parishes develop their own youth and young adult ministries.  When not doing ministry, Clay enjoys spending time with his family, playing music, playing sports, playing naptime, and writing blogs on topics such as family, faith, and the Vancouver Canucks.  Learn more about him at http://www.claytonimoo.com or follow him @claytonimoo

No comments: