Saturday 25 February 2012

We've Got to Pray Just to Make it Today

As a teen, I was a huge Halle Berry fan, not for her acting, but because she was so beautiful. In my early 20's I'd rip a picture out of the magazine of the Halle Berry Shag look that she made famous and gave it to my hairdresser to get the same cut.

When I heard she was divorcing David Justice the baseball player (I was a baseball addict back then) I was so disappointed. I loved them together! Drama followed Halle Berry after that with rumours of abuse, the fights etc. At that point I started to pray for her. As a matter of fact, I chose two celebrities to pray for; Halle Berry and Whitney Houston.

As I got older, I got so used to hearing about celebrity drama that my heart hardened, and I neglected to pray for these two celebrities.

"We've got to pray just to make it today" - MC Hammer

Back in the day, it was just a cool song. Today I wonder was it a cry for help? What would Whitney's life look like if all of her fans, around the world, prayed for her?

When I first found out about Whitney Houston, my heart was so heavy. Actually, that's an understatement. Each night I lay in my bed after watching CNN till the wee hours of the morning listening to all the interviews of the people who knew Whitney, trying to make sense of it all while tears rolled over the bridge of my nose. I was ignorant of her constant battle of not feeling good enough, her desire to be taken care of, her reasoning for staying in an abusive relationship.

There was so much I didn't know until after she died. Whitney Houston was a normal human being with a God given talent that rose her to the top who needed as many people as possible to pray for her so she would resist temptation and walk in God's best for her.

Do you have a kid in your youth group who is in the know of every celebrity? They read the magazines, watch the movies, and get a news feed from TMZ? If so, talk to that student, about doing up a report or info on how your youth group can pray for our celebrities instead of gossip about them.

Encourage your youth group to adopt a celebrity and commit to pray for them. They obviously need our prayers. Where are the Ashton Kutcher fans? He could do with some prayer. Demi Moore needs to know that she is loved unconditionally. All the used to be Hanna Montana fans, where are they at?

These celebrities need our prayers. They have mom's, dad's, grandparents too. Martin Sheen was gravely distressed about the condition of his son Charlie, while the majority of the world laughed. Seriously, the devil has been using fame and fortune to destroy people who have God given talent. He's been taking advantage of Hollywood’s spotlight to negatively influence our youth. Our youth group has the power to break the cycle.

We've got to Pray, to help them make it through today.

No comments: