Thursday 2 February 2012

Preaching to Aliens

For the past 6 years I have spent most of my weekends and a many weeknights speaking to different groups.  I am by no means an expert, but have a enough miles under my belt to suggest some things to consider when speaking to an audience that you don’t typically speak to.

1. Ask Some Questions In Advance
Before you agree to take on a speaking engagement, ask a few questions about the group.  Here are a few I find helpful:
  • What is the Event? (ex. Youth Night, Conference, Retreat, Seminar, Church Service)
  • Is there a theme?
  • What size is the group? Dynamics change with size.
  • Average Age / Age range
  • Male/ Female ratio
  • Churched/Un-churched Ratio
First of all, this helps me determine if I should say yes to the speaking engagement.  Second and more importantly, these pieces of information are vital for my sermon preparation.  The fart jokes I used for my guys only pre-teen talk will not land well at Friendly Friday, the seniors group at my church.

2. Connect with the Leaders and Do your research
This point may seem similar to the first but it deserves its own space.  On two separate occasions I have been invited to speak to a group of students shortly after the youth group found out their youth pastor succumbed to moral failure.  I am very grateful that I had a conversation with a member of the leadership team before I came to speak. Take some time to call the person who is leading the event. Ask him/her what’s on their heart.  Find out what the group has been learning in recent talks and what is happening in the life of the community.  I often take a few moments to Google the church or ministry that I am speaking to.  If they have a sermon archive, I look through the topics and if there is time I will listen to a few clips of the most recent talks.  Find out what they believe, what the vision of the congregation is and their missions statement.

3. Take the Time to Introduce Yourself
The pastor of my church is a brilliant preacher.  One of the best I have ever heard.  When he gets up on Sunday morning he starts of by opening his bible and reading the text.  I personally love this. Although this works well for him, it is not a best practice for a guest speaker.  It works well for Pastor Brent because the audience knows him and trusts him.  The relationship has already been established.  When you are speaking to a new audience dedicate a portion of your introduction to building a relationship with the audience.  I have wrestled with this.  I have told my self “Jason, you are here to share the word, don’t waste time sharing a funny story or talking about yourself”.  While this sounds noble it is actually counter productive.  I have discovered that if I take 5 min to connect and build rapport with the audience through laughter, shared experiences or an interesting story, the audience will be more attentive for the remaining 20 min.  In other words, because I want them to take in as much of the word as possible, I want to take time to build a relationship so they can listen well.

4. Take Someone with You
Some of my favorite memories are of the post service meals or car rides home with a friend or my wife after a preach. We laugh about the stupid things I said and we thank God for generously impacting lives. My wife is the best because she reminds me that I am her favorite preacher and that I am doing this unto the Lord not unto man. When you go to speak to a new group take some one with you.  Take your spouse, a close friend, or someone you are mentoring.  Make sure it’s someone who will be supportive, who will listen to your talk, pray for you and encourage you. You are most vulnerable when you feel tired and lonely.  The accountability and support of a good friend will help you minister well and help you maintain integrity.

5. Build up the Leaders
As a guest speaker we have to remember that we have the easy job. The pastors and leaders have the hard job.  They are doing the daily discipleship, they are the ones praying and laboring for the congregation.  We have a unique opportunity to build up those leaders.  Take the time to thank the leader for having you.  Encourage him/her and pray with them.  While you are delivering your talk, you may be able to build up or encourage the leaders.  I often say “your small group leaders are here because they care about you” or “you guys are fortunate to have a team of leaders who are cheering for you”.  If you are doing a response time at the end of your talk, include the leaders in the ministry. This helps bring accountability to the commitments made and builds community.

More to Come in Part 2 

 Jason is the director of campusfire, a ministry partnering with local churches to empowering high school students to reach their schools. Jason graduated from Simon Fraser University in 2010. He has been married to his best friend, Rachael, for two years, and their mission in life is simple: to see students live out their faith in the midst of culture, and to encourage them to lead their friends to Jesus.

http://www.campusfire.com/

No comments: