Wednesday 23 May 2012

Surprise...We're Going to Disneyland (and not Seattle)!

I've written before on child-like faith, and how children remind us that we are to be child-like (but not childish) in the way we pray. After all, Mark 10:15 says "Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it." 

This scripture reminds us that whomever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.  Now that doesn’t mean that we should all start sucking our thumbs, wearing diapers, crawling around from place to place, and crying and whining until we get what we want...that's childish.  But God has set aside the Kingdom of God for the childlike...for those who are loving enough to trust and obey Him, and humble enough to depend on Him.

My kids teach me what it means to have a child-like faith.  Because they are obedient, innocent, and curious.

See what I mean in this video...and in particular pay attention to Jacob, our middle child.  The only background you need to know is that our kids thought we were going to spend our Spring Break in Seattle.



Jacob is a perfect illustration of child-like faith.  The pure joy, innocence, and surprise he displayed brings a smile to my face every time I watch the video.

And to his credit, our eldest Sean did a masterful job of keeping the surprise from Jacob and Kayla.  Sean's teacher mistakenly spoiled the surprise when he asked Sean if he was excited to go to Disneyland.  In a remarkable display of restraint, Sean didn't tell me, Gail, Jacob, or Kayla that he knew.

Until he pulled me aside after dinner one night a few days prior to our trip.

"Dad, I know we're going to Disneyland for Spring Break."

"What are you talking about?  No we're not!"

Sean wasn't buying it.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Because I was looking at Mom's browsing history in Google."


Clayton Imoo is husband to Gail and father to sons Sean Isaiah and Jacob Isaac and daughter Kayla Marie.  He has served as the Director of the Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver for the past ten years.  Learn more about him at http://www.claytonimoo.com or follow him @claytonimoo

No comments: