Sunday 27 May 2012

Spiritual Practice of the Week:  The Body Prays
Most faiths have a traditional way of holding the body in prayer. It may be kneeling; moving from standing to kneeling to prostrating; ,sitting quietly with head bowed, hands clasped, and eyes closed; or sitting cross legged.   Kneeling in prayer is a practice that is an act of humbleness and homage, and an expression of full body prayer.
Moving your body into a new prayer pose can bring insight about to your prayer practice and your relationship with the Holy. Think about the pose you generally take when you are in prayer. What is your faith’s general way of praying? Do you feel connected to God in this pose? Have you tried any other postures of prayer?  The following practice allows people to experience a variety of prayer postures. You may wish to use this as a station in a spiritual practices experience or to lead a group through it.


In preparation for this practice put a blanket or carpet on the floor for people to practice on. Have a kneeler available. Read the following outline or have it written out for people to follow.
With my hands I praise God;

with my feet, my legs, my heart, my head, my fingers, my toes, my mouth I praise God.
I show up with my whole body alive to God’s presence,
with my whole body praising God.
You who gave me life, who gave me breath,
who created my heartbeat, I praise you with all of my beautiful parts.

At this practice station spend some time in different prayer positions. Offer a heartfelt prayer in each posture. You may wish to offer the same prayer in all the postures you explore. Notice which postures feel right. Notice which are uncomfortable. Notice which push you to a more alive place. It may not be physically possible for you to do some of the postures suggested here. Do whichever ones you can. Here are some possibilities.
-kneeling (use the kneeler provided)
-kneeling with knees on the earth, arms raised
-standing with your hands in prayer pose (hands touching in front of your heart centre)
-standing with your hands raised above your head
-kneeling with head on the floor, arms resting on the floor at your sides (baby pose)
-lying face up with your arms at your sides
-lying face down with your arms your sides
-sitting cross-legged on the floor with hands resting on your knees
-sitting in a chair with your hands in prayer pose
-standing on your head (if possible)
Hold each of the prayer poses for as long as you wish, setting your intention for connection with God. After you have completed as many as you wish or all the poses, go back and try again the pose you felt most drawn to again. End the practice with giving thanks for your body’s ability and the freedom of your body to move and explore new ways to pray. (if doing in a group you may wish to have very soft music playing while people do this practice to avoid noise and distraction from the group)
On this day of Pentecost my God continue to build in you a Holy Fire, one that never goes out, full of passion, joy and spirit, guiding you on.  Acts 2:1-18
© This prayer practice and all of those on the Sunday Morning Blog Post can be found in:  "Go Deep: Spiritual Practices for Youth Ministry" Wood Lake Publishing, available on www.amazon.caDoris is the Youth Minister for the United Church of Canada in British Columbia and the Director of World Pilgrim: Global Education and Awareness Travel.

 

No comments: