Saturday 25 October 2014

"Instant" Success?

I used to take a picture and then drive it to the photo shop, drop it off, and wait for a few days while it was processed. Then I would wish I had taken two.
To make a phone call when I was out, I needed to pull over at a gas station, go through my car to find some change, go into a booth, and use a pay phone.
Now I can take a picture, while I make a phone call, while I am driving (not that I would).


I grew up making home movies on an old 8mm camera. The film needed to be threaded through the camera on spools. No automatic colour correcting - was it daylight film? or indoor film?  There was no automatic light control. If it was low light, I wasted my money. Once exposed, I'd unspool the roll of film in the dark, package it up, and send it in the mail to Kodak. Three weeks later it would return in the mail. To watch it, I needed to thread it through a projector and hope it didn't get shredded as it passed through the 'technology'.


We knew what 'process' was. We knew how to wait. We knew the joy of it finally all coming together.

Where has the idea of 'process' gone?

- I live in an INSTANT world -

I remember when I was in college and 'video' machines were hitting the consumer market. It was so confusing to think that I could shoot a film and watch it right away! I could even play it back instantly, on the camera itself! Sounds silly today, right?

Emails replaced envelopes and stamps, making communication instant. No longer waiting months for a letter from a missionary in Africa. Microwaves replaced popcorn machines. Computers replaced typewriters. Quicker, faster, sooner. Everything in an instant.  The only 'instant' thing I remember was cup-o-soup (instant noodles with some powdered flavoring). 
It's a fast food world now. If something takes time, we are impatient and annoyed. I need it now. I want it now. Poor wi-fi makes my kids more angry than almost anything else.  

GROWING AS A PERSON TAKES PROCESS
We all know that working with people isn't instant. But are we willing to put in the long term work? Are we thinking 'process'? 

Is there a process to maturity? Absolutely.
Is there a process to discipleship? Absolutely!
       - - no brainer, right? 


What is the process of discipleship? Can we articulate it? Where does it start? What gets added, and added? Where is it going? How does it progress and mature? What does it look like when it is done?
If we can define the process of spiritual maturity (or even the process towards spiritual maturity) then do we plan according to that process? Do we create programs that intentionally move people forward in that process? I wonder.

As I look across the youth ministry world, I think we are much better at this than we used to be; but I think there is still so much hard work necessary to really be on task. The strategy part of our work is SO necessary. The intentionality of taking people towards Christ-fullness in life and experience can't be overlooked. Spiritually, youth are the most pliable, changeable, and responsive of all age groups - are we leaving it to 'hope' and 'chance'?

Here's my questions for you:
  1. Can you articulate the process (1,2,3,4...) of discipleship?
  2. Does the program you are leading actually move people along in that process? Or does it accidentally move people along?
  3. How can we create ministry 'vehicles' that help transport people from step to step, constantly challenging them forward?
  4. When was the last time you sat down with somebody and painted the picture of where you want to take them in discipleship? Do you expect them to follow you blindly?
  5. Are you willing to put in the hard work and processing time to make a long term process come to fulfillment?
Making an old 8mm movie happened in stages. Each stage took time and required patience. Because of the cost and time involved, it had to be done right the first time. In somebody's life, we can't afford to 'hope' they move forward in growth and development. Hinds sight doesn't help much and nothing - is - instant.

Nothing is instant in maturity.




these are my thoughts, as a lead pastor, looking around and back into the world of youth ministry
dave


Dave Brotherton now lives in Sauble Beach, Ontario and is the Lead Pastor of Sauble Christian Fellowship. Dave was a youth pastor for 20+ years, taught youth ministry at Ambrose University in Calgary for 8 years, and was the National Youth Director for the Alliance Churches in Canada since 1999. Now Dave leads a church and speaks into youth ministry from the Senior Pastor's perspective.

No comments: