Wednesday 1 October 2014

REVIVE US SERIES: Wimpy And I Know It

We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. Romans 5:3

Have you been lambasted by the accusations and demands of others, broadsided by the unexpected, slipped warp speed into old unhealthy habits that God spoke to you about this summer during the change in pace? Have you noticed that ‘the thing’ you began to implement change on this summer has been extremely hard to continue to do?

I started off everyday listening to God and getting specific instructions from Him that I’d write in my journal. Everyday was a purposeful adventure. I was growing more aware of God and what He was doing in the present. Then early morning meetings began to rise along with phone calls or messages during my God time. Each chime, swoosh or chirp stimulated an automatic reach for my phone. Someone took something I said the wrong way and I started getting these mean texts and emails drenched in judgement. Then I lost my day timer, (I know you’re wondering why I am not using digital. I prefer the hard copy.) Three weeks past, it is gone. But then I found it! Yeah, the world is a happy place. I flew out the next day and I left it at the airport with my bible! Reading the digital bible for devotions, it’s not the same. My routine is ruined. The airport cannot find them. My bible...gone, my day timer... gone again! Today I converted; I started switching my schedule to digital. (You win)

Alas, my schedule is gone, I’ve lost my rhythm and I’ve stopped having my morning time with God.
Truth is…I am a whimpering, wilting wimp that my personal trainer Holy Spirit has exposed. 
Have you ever thought that you were looking mighty fine doing your sit ups or your push up with ease until some trainer walks by and adjusts your form, now you are struggling to get one done! You thought you were strong but the truth was revealed.

How strong are you? Will you last? Can you outlast the enemy? God is pushing for endurance. He desires to develop a mental toughness in you and I, like an athlete able to push through pain and the fiercest conditions. No matter what comes your way do what you know to do. These unforeseen circumstances we all are facing is strength building time also known as the endurance test. God has given your personal trainer Holy Spirit specific instructions to turn you into a strong, solid, spirit-led superstar who truly reflects the gospel of Jesus Christ in the fullness of His power, grace and compassion.

In the midst of inhumane, deplorable actions of terrorists, respiratory virus that is taking out children and secret sins captured on elevator cams, Holy Spirit has developed a plan of action that will prepare you for what’s ahead. He is raising up youth workers that will remain standing, who know how to push through the thoughts of self-doubt, whose faces are like flint when surrounded by adversity or faulty philosophy’s, a faith and integrity that shines all the brighter when fear and temptation hovers. God is making you strong.
Youth Worker let’s stand together and not allow the trivial to pull us away from our Sabbath, our holy time with God. Remain in that sweet spot and stick with the plan. Spend more quiet time each day, slow down and rest more, pray, read, play with your family, protect that date night whatever it is stay true. Work your muscles even when it hurts. Are your students caving under sexual pressure? Do they decide to live for God but it lasts for only two days. Youth Pastor, this is why, God is making you strong.

It was a rough night and now morning has come, the wimpy side says, “God will understand if I miss our meeting this morning.” My prayer is that you will hear the voice of your personal trainer leaning over your bedside reminding you firmly,

Problems develop endurance. Endurance is developing and strengthening your character. Character strengthens your confidence and certainty in the hope of salvation. This hope will not lead to disappointment. For you will know how much God loves you, that’s why He gave you me Holy Spirit.  When I am done with you, your heart will be filled with His love…SO GET UP!!!  Based on Romans 5:3-5 NLT


Youth Speaker & Founder of the Young Woman of Power (YWOP), Alison hosts conferences and develops programs that are designed to build the confidence of youth such as the YWOP PivotFWD workshop which she delivers in Calgary’s Youth Judicial System and the citywide Young Women of Power Conference. She considers herself to be a pastor to those who don’t want one or don’t know they need one. For more info or to book Alison as a speaker visit www.ywop.ca 

No comments: