Wednesday 16 April 2014

A Resource for Students to Bounce Back From "Haters"

Can you stop people from saying or doing hurtful things? I’m sure you have heard stories from your students about the mean things someone has said to them. I remember a girl sharing with me around a campfire about an incident at school. As she was squeezing through the desks to get to her seat, a girl higher up on the social status, yelled out, “You can't get by because of your fat a$$.” That was the trigger of her eating disorder.

Being black in a community where people were predominately white, I was often made fun of. I recall an incident in elementary that had me stay away from camps never to return until my grade 11 year. I was kicked and made fun of for my smile and the colour of my skin. I wanted so desperately to be white because of the way people treated me. Do you know students who are struggling from the harsh treatment of others? Maybe someone posted a private picture of them up on social media, or by text. You just want to go in and save that kid or perhaps lash out at the ignorant fool or their parents.  

I stumbled on to this video today of a girl I've never heard of before until now, her name is Lizzie Velasquez. I was inspired by her story and proud at the same time as I watched a number of her videos. You've got to hear her story.
That girl in your youth group who is hurting because of what people posted about her on Facebook she has got to hear Lizzie's story.  Lizzie is bold and powerful she too will make you proud. After you've watched her message, know that her story doesn't end there. She has a Vlog series on YouTube you've got to check it out. She doesn't hide she puts herself out there.

Your kids (if they haven't already) must hear Lizzie's story. Her story is proof that John 10:10 is real. The devil comes to steal, kill and destroy, but Jesus came to give us a life that is full. This Holy Week my prayer is that your students would know that what Christ did on the cross and after 3 days, is so that you're students would have the grace and the power to be able to bounce back no matter how much bad has happened to them.





The Founder of the Young Woman of Power (YWOP) Conference April 25-26 2014, Alison develops programs that are designed to build girls confidence such as the YWOP PivotFWD workshop which she delivers in Calgary’s Youth Judicial System. Alison’s heart for young women is to see the statistics of violence against women decrease and to see females become counter culture/culturally dangerous by growing in true confidence. For more info or to book Alison as a speaker visit www.ywop.ca 

No comments: