Saturday 18 August 2012

Going Slow with Dr. Low

I've never played Angry Birds.  No, really, never!  I mostly play games on the computer that I play in real life such as Hearts, Scrabble and Wizard.  The problem is I've played all these games on my computer so much that it's getting harder and harder to break my previous scores.  It's gotten to the point where if I don't see myself beating a record I will often restart the game, even if I'm only a few minutes into it.  Sometimes I feel like a bit of a poor sport doing this but I figure if I'm not having fun or beating a record, why bother?

While thinking about this week's blog I thought about writing an entry about how life is not like a game of Hearts where you can just throw your cards back if you don't like them and start again whenever you want.  But then as I began thinking about it more I began to wonder if life might actually be more like that than we may think.

That's the amazing thing about God's grace being new every morning, new every moment.  His love, forgiveness, grace and strength allows us to make daily changes to follow Him more closely.  This doesn't imply flippantly discarding relationships, jobs, commitments and so on as readily as I throw back my Hearts cards or Scrabble tiles, but it does mean we do get fresh chances to align ourselves with God on a regular basis.

Sometimes we do need to toss things back, especially attitudes, patterns, addictions and words we've let slip out.  Sometimes even relationships need to be traded in for something new.  I'm not talking about carelessly throwing away committed relationships God has called us to but there are some relationships God has not called us to that we remain stuck in for whatever reasons.  Or sometimes we're stuck in the wrong attitude or pattern in a relationship so we're not supposed to discard the relationship but we are invited to change it.

Without being careless, what in your life may need to be realigned so that you can start enjoying more of God's abundant will?  Don't feel stuck - there's more we can change than we often think.

No comments: