Saturday 11 August 2012

Public Speaking Tip: Speak to the Eyes


Matthew 6:22 NLT

“The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light.

When you are speaking what are you speaking to? Your notes, the ceiling, the floor? Do you know? Nervousness can cause your eyes to wander, but to maximize the impact of your message... SPEAK TO THE EYES.

Police officers will often tell someone they are questioning to remove their sunglasses. A friend told me that he never picks up a hitch hiker who is wearing shades. Why is that? The eyes reveal what’s going on inside. You can tell when a student is high or intoxicated by looking into their eyes. You can see pain, purity, and fear in one’s eyes. To address the issues of the soul the eyes are the gateway so...SPEAK TO THE EYES!

If Truth is an arrow and your message is the bow, where do you aim? An archer aims for the Bulls Eye - the red dot in the middle. For a speaker that red dot are the eyes of your audience. Whenever I am about to state a vital truth that is pivotal for my audience to get...I ask them to look up at me. I wait until I have every eye in the house and then I speak that truth into those eyes. I’ll repeat that statement until I have spoken that word over the entire room.

Unaware to me, Holy Spirit will often point my bow at a specific student. While I’m looking at them an arrow is released. Afterwards I’ll have that kid or a youth worker come up to me saying, “How did you know?” or “That’s what they needed to hear!” BULLS EYE!!

Don’t aim high or low or at your notes, you’ve got a word that’s got to hit home. Aim for the eyes. And watch God’s word change the heart and soul.

Practice Time

Are you unsure if you are looking at people’s eyes or past them? Look at them long enough to know the colour of their eyes. Still not doing it? Get someone to quiz you!

___________________________________________

A member of the Canadian Association of Professional Speakers (CAPS) Alison has dedicated her time to developing her gift of Public Speaking so that her listeners would believe the truth that she shares and to raise up other strong youth communicator’s in Canada. She has been speaking full time for four years and is currently enrolled in Youth Speakers University.

Speaking Tips are from Alison’s Public Speaking Enhancement Workshop for any inquires message her today. http://www.inspiringteengreatness.com

No comments: