Sunday 12 August 2012

Spiritual Practice of the Week:  This present moment.

Go outside and breathe.

I breathe in deeply.
Over and over, the rhythm of my breath carries me. I don’t have to force anything.   Spirit, you are my breath, inside my breath, the rhythm that gives me life.  I breathe into all of my life, into this present moment. I notice my breathing.  I give thanks for this gift of life that is this present moment.
I open my ears.  I am aware of the sounds that are around me. I notice them in this present moment, listening to whatever sound comes to me. I give thanks for this gift of sound in this present moment, reminder of life all around.  (Allow time for exploration of sound)

I open my eyes.  My gaze falls on something in my range of sight. I notice the thing I am watching, its beauty, simplicity, function, and form. I notice in this present moment the beauty of all parts of the world around me. I give thanks for the gift of sight in this present moment, reminder of the life of the world all around me. (Allow time for exploration of sight)
I move in the world. I feel my feet touch the ground, connecting with all that is around me. In this present moment I notice how I am feeling. I accept it. I move my body in this space around me, filling up space, moving, shaking, dancing, twirling. I am filling up this space in this present moment. (Allow time for people to explore the space with their movements)
I stop to a still place and notice how my body feels in stillness. (Allow time to notice)
I have this present moment. It is all I really have.

I breathe deeply, bringing myself, back to the space where the gift of life lives in me.
I raise my hands and thank God for this present moment. I acknowledge that it is all I really have. I breathe deeply into this present moment. 

Amen.
© This prayer practice and all of those on the Sunday Morning Blog Post can be found in:  "Go Deep: Spiritual Practices for Youth Ministry" Wood Lake Publishing
Doris is the Youth Director for the United Church of Canada in BC. 

No comments: