Tuesday 21 August 2012

Hustle

Life is busy.  It is a saying we use all the time when people ask us how things are going.  You have probably have even read quite a few articles already on how we are busier now more than ever.  This is especially true now that we have 100% constant access to the internet on our phones.  While I am a complete advocate of making sure we slow our lives down and take time to rest what I want to touch on briefly today is what I consider the difference of being "busy" and "hustle".

So many times in my life I have been "busy" but feel like I get nothing done.  When I look back on those moments it feels like a majority of those moments while I had lots to do, I could always find time to waste surfing the net, reading twitter, playing the latest video game release.  Then I also look back at the times where I was "busy" but felt like I got lots done.  If you asked in me in the middle of both of those periods I would have given you the same answer to the question of "How is it going?" "Oh you know busy as always".  In retrospective I think the real difference between getting stuff done and just always feeling behind was my attitude and a sense of hustle.  The times that I accomplished the most was when I would put my mind to it, not waste time and focus.  Getting ahead in your youth ministry is going to take a lot of hustle.  

A couple tips to increase hustle and decrease wasted "busy" time.

1) Track your procrastination on a PC with http://procrastitracker.com/ - Find out where you are really spending you online time.

2) Use a task tracker and keep it up to date.  I like to use Wunderlist (http://www.6wunderkinder.com/wunderlist/) It is free, easy to use, works on your phone and has cloud syncing.  This has helped me keep on top of my large pile of ToDos.  You can even share your task list for accountability or help if you need that extra step.

3) Set aside some time in your day to block out everything and focus.  I find if I really focus and can get away I'll be able to get as much work done in 2 hours as I can sometimes in an entire day.  This phenomena can be noticed especially when you are ready to leave for vacation.  If you can find a way to work like that all the time, you'll be way ahead of your goals.

Stop being "busy" and start hustling.

No comments: