Tuesday 28 August 2012

Start Something

With the fall coming up I know a lot of you have been digging into curriculum and making plans for how you are going to be doing your youth work over the next couple months.  So over the next few posts I am going cover some things I've learned from my own personal search into starting new things.  Before I do any deep dives into the things I've been reading about I want to get some recommend resources listed.


1) Start Something that Matter - By Blake Mycoskie - This is a book by the founder of TOMS shoes who goes into details on how he founded the company and the movement he is trying to start.  It is a great kick in the pants and motivator for anyone that is looking to start something new. 

2) Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh (The founder of Zappos) - This book covers Tony's creation of Zappos, how they almost failed, and what quirky approaches they took to things that ended up working.  Not ministry related directly, but there are definitely some strong elements in here that anyone involved in leading people can use.

3) Start With Why By Simon Sinek - One of the most viewed TED videos of all time is now in book form.  While it can be repetitive at times, it drives home a major point that any youth worker needs to figure out.  WHY do you do what you do? If everything you do is driven from that, then success follows.  A definite recommendation.

I know you're busy, but pick one of these books and read it.  You won't be disappointed and you'll be able to follow along better in my next few posts.


No comments: