Wednesday 21 March 2012

Confessions of a Youth Minister’s Son

Last Friday, our Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry (OYYAM) for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver held its annual FREEDOM event: a unique reconciliation service that gives youth and young adults an opportunity to encounter Jesus Christ in a real and profound way through the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

(A sacrament is an outward sign of an inward grace; there are 7 sacraments that we celebrate in the Catholic faith).

It was quite an amazing sight to see close to 400 people go to confession.  And it got me thinking of this story I wrote a few years ago:

Sean received the Sacrament of Reconciliation for the first-time this past Thursday as he prepares to receive his First Communion in May. It was fortuitous timing that Sean’s First Confession was the day before FREEDOM, the OYYAM’s annual youth reconciliation event.

So in the midst of my last-minute planning for FREEDOM, I sat Sean down on Thursday night to ask him about his experience and to pray with him in thanksgiving.

“So what did you confess?” I asked him.

“Dad, I’m not supposed to tell you!!!” was Sean’s quick reply.

“Very good son” I answered, actually covering up the fact that I forgot that I wasn’t supposed to ask him about what he confessed.

“But if you really want to know…” Sean continued. I smiled sheepishly, not sure if I should encourage him, discourage him, or run and hide.

“Just give me a summary then” I said.

“Well, I confessed all the names that I call Jacob. You know, names like dork, dummy-head, clown, goofball…”

I cut him off while trying to maintain a straight face. “Okay, Sean, that’s enough! I get the point!”

Turning to the task at hand, I decided to probe a bit further.

“Hey Sean: why do you think we’re calling our confession event FREEDOM?” I was curious as to how he’d answer.

“Because Jesus died on the cross to free us from our sins” Sean replied, “and in doing so our hearts are made anew.”

I offered up a prayer in thanksgiving: Sean’s answer confirmed that he did indeed understand the importance of the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Good thing he didn’t ask me about my confessions!


Clayton Imoo is husband to Gail and father to sons Sean Isaiah and Jacob Isaac and daughter Kayla Marie.  He has served as the Director of the Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver for the past ten years.  Learn more about him at http://www.claytonimoo.com or follow him @claytonimoo

No comments: