Saturday 17 March 2012

Going Slow with Dr. Low


Slow Down and Breath Deeply

A few days ago I was driving north on Highway 2 towards Red Deer.  I was late for a meeting so rushing a bit and preoccupied with the speaking engagement I had to prepare for.  When all of a sudden I looked up and saw not just 1 or 2 but 3 large V's of Canada Geese flying north above me.  Our rushed tendency is often to look briefly at such wonders and then quickly race on with the rest of our thoughts, worries and activities.  I was tempted to do just that as I had a lot on my mind (plus I was driving so couldn't stare too long) but God's gentle and loving finger tapped me on the shoulder whispering, "Behold the mystery of the flying Geese; I trained them how to do that.  Spring is here - breathe it in and breathe it in deeply.".

So I did just that.  As much as I could while safely driving I stared at the geese and breathed slowly and deeply.  I breathed in Spring.  It wasn't just an intellectual, cerebral acknowledgement that Spring is here, it was a cry of relief from the depths of my soul that my favorite season has finally arrived after the long winter months, even though it was a mild winter.

Breathing in a moment of truth and wonder deep into your gut is different than simply acknowledging it in your head.  It's hard to explain; you just have to do it and feel it.  Whether it's love, anger, relief, joy or whatever, you likely have felt this deeper acknowledgement before.  This is where real life is felt and lived.

So next time you see, think or feel something which appears to be a gift from God or even an opportunity to thank and praise Him, slow down, maybe even stop, take a deep breath and thank God for the moment.  It is these little moments that help keep us more connected to the Vine.

For some cool lessons on geese click here.

Dr. Rob Low
www.frombeginningtoend.org


No comments: