Sunday 26 January 2014

Gift giving - the lame love language

For those of you who's love language is gift giving, you hate me right now, don't you. I don't actually think gifts are a bad thing ....but... society has made it vile.

In our youth leadership team devo’s at work, we’re watching the Choose Justice video series:  http://churches.worldvision.ca/choose-justice-dvd-and-conversation-guide/. It features Tony Campolo and Shane Claiborne talking about various issues of social justice, and more importantly, Jesus justice.

The topic came up of gift giving. A few people on my team LOVE giving and receiving gifts, but not when it's expected of them - like what our holiday's have done. "It's the thought that counts" is what rings true, but when it's expected it robs the joy from the thoughtful giver.

And after all, if it wasn't for the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh, the poverty stricken Joseph and Mary would have not been able to pay for the trip to Egypt to escape Herod's death sentence for Jesus.

A friend of mine from my West 49 days (not Christians per say) and her husband are good stewards. But her husband loves gifts, so he finds ways to do it frugally. I witnessed this one morning when my friend was unpacking the lunch her husband prepared for her, and on the outside of the egg shell he wrote "I love you" (not quite as artsy as the pic below, but you get the idea). How sweet right!


Next time you give a gift, think of a way you can do it without burning cash or precious resources. Cook a meal, write an egg note, or here's a few more ideas for girls AND dudes:

About me: I live a pretty simple life... trying to love God and treat others as good as myself... I epically fail at this but mercifully God loves me anyway... different cultures inspire me... the outdoors is my passion... I'm pursuing my MDIV / Masters in Counselling at Tyndale... I spent 22+ years in the skate / snowboard / entertainment / marketing / retail industry at the executive level... led the charge at West 49/Billabong for 12 of them... I've worked in youth ministry leadership roles for more years then I can count.. after many moons in the corporate world I switched to the dark side and am currently the Manager of Youth & Student Campaigns at World Vision Canada... but more then anything I love giving my heart to mentoring and helping youth! #lovelife #dreambig #keepitreal #socialjustice #jesusjustice I/T @cindymielke facebook.com/cindymielke

No comments: