Saturday 11 January 2014

Working with kids in crisis - lesson from Luke 15

The Prodigal Son (Luke 15) illustrates a step by step process of walking away - then a step by step process of making it right. It comes from the back of my old Thompson Chain Reference Bible. 
Good food for thought.



The 7 steps away:
1. Selfwill: I want control, I want my way
2. Selfishness: Putting the action to my will - my selfwill comes to life
3. Separation: Beginning the process of pulling away from what I had (family, rules, expectations, God...)
4: Sensuality: I want to feel good - it's all about me, me, me
5. Spiritual destitution: My decisions are making my life worse, I'm in a pit and I know it
6. Self abasement: In a cycle of deeper and deeper. I'm in the basement - sucking concrete but I'm unwilling to give in
7: Starvation: I'm at my end. There's is no lower place. I long for anything. 

The 7 steps back:
1. Realization: The ah-ha moment when it dawns on you that this sucks and it needs to change.
2. Resolution: Decision time. I am going do deal with this, get off my butt & do something about it.
3. Repentance: I was heading one way; I stop, turn around and head the other way. I'm am putting action to my resolution.
4. Return: Physically retrace your steps and head back to the beginning. This takes humility.
5. Reconciliation: Making it right. Don't just go back. Go back and deal with it well and set things right.
6. Re-clothing: This part is out of my control. To be forgiven completely and restored to the original status. 
7. Rejoicing: Celebrate it.

Understanding these steps might help us work with kids in crisis more effectively.


Dave Brotherton was a youth pastor from 1984-2006 and now teaches youth ministry at Ambrose University College in Calgary. Dave is also the National Youth Guy for the Alliance churches in Canada and the director of Legacy Youth Conference. Dave is married to Lisa and they share 2 of the greatest kids in the world. Fishing, camping, and cheering on the Leafs are some of his favorite things. 
twitter: @oldbrotherdave


No comments: