Sunday 12 January 2014

Leading from your sweet spot!

God struck me right between the eyes this week. 

I just finished LEAD 0510 at Tyndale and I have to be real with you, I'm a little embarrassed. I was called out! I've had a ton of leadership training, even an executive coach, yet I wasn't following what I'd learned, nor God's principles for using my gifts.

Last year I took a significant shift in my career - going from being one of the head cheeses of a massive and cool corporation, to a lower management role at a large charity, while I started my Masters part time. I was convinced, that to get through school, I just needed a job where I could law low and check tasks off a list. Let someone else lead for a change. Tell me what to do. I'll be a hard worker and good follower, honest.

But I was a bear. I wasn't leading from my sweet spot. My "just hunker down and do it" attitude was really hurting those around me.


How often do you lead from being authoritative and/or just checking tasks off a list? When you lead collaboratively and from your passions and strengths, everyone around you benefits. Plus, you'll be way less frustrated. God wants you to use your spiritual gifts (1 Peter 4:10-11) and the way he designed you for His kingdom work. 

If you're wondering what you're personality type and gifts are, here's a few great assessment tools:

  1. Identify youth strengths & weaknesses (ignore the cheesy name of the site): http://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/questionnaires.aspx  scroll down to the "VIA Signature Strengths Questionnaire"
  2. Myers Briggs personality type (this is great for learning how to interact with co-workers/leaders/volunteers): http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp
  3. Spiritual Gifts Test: http://www.churchgrowth.org/cgi-cg/gifts.cgi?intro=1 

We're all leading, in one way or another, all the time. So do yourself and the others around you a favour, lead from your sweet spot. 


About me: I live a pretty simple life... trying to love God and treat others as good as myself... I epically fail at this but mercifully God loves me anyway... different cultures inspire me... the outdoors is my passion... I'm pursuing my MDIV / Masters in Counselling at Tyndale... I spent 22+ years in the skate / snowboard / entertainment / marketing / retail industry at the executive level... led the charge at West 49/Billabong for 12 of them... I've worked in youth ministry leadership roles for more years then I can count.. after many moons in the corporate world I switched to the dark side and am currently the Manager of Youth & Student Campaigns at World Vision Canada... but more then anything I love giving my heart to mentoring and helping youth! #lovelife #dreambig #keepitreal #socialjustice #jesusjustice I/T @cindymielke facebook.com/cindymielke

No comments: