Friday 7 March 2014

Making the Most out of Lent

“Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” (Hebrews 13:16)

If you ask a young person what he might be doing for Lent, you’ll likely get responses along the lines of:  “I’m giving up Facebook” or “I’m giving up eating chocolate.”

Granted, these may be noble notions on their own, but young people (along with many adults) often get too caught up in what they might be “giving up” for Lent instead of why they are doing it.

We know that Lent is a solemn, reflective season that prepares us for Christ’s glorious resurrection at Easter.  The forty days of Lent recall the forty days that Jesus spent in the desert resisting Satan’s temptations before starting his public ministry.  During Lent, Christians are called to renew themselves through prayer, fasting, and almsgiving (charity).  Think of it as a spiritual tune-up.

Solemn and reflective does not have to mean miserable and depressed.  Lent gives youth ministers a wonderful opportunity to teach about sacrifice, and how these sacrifices can be pleasing to God.  When we sacrifice in one area, we grow or make room in another; in the case of Lent it’s in our relationship with God.  Fasting is a perfect example: it’s less about what we are giving up (food) and more about how we are growing (in prayer).

“One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4)

An avid cola drinker, for the past 12 years I have proudly proclaimed that I am giving up pop for Lent.  But it wasn’t until a few years ago that I realized that simply sacrificing pop wasn’t enough…God was challenging me to do more.  To spend more time in prayer.  To be a better steward of my resources.  To be more generous.  And to be more “present” to my wife and children.

As youth ministers, we can pray for humility; that we can “die to ourselves” and instead set our hope on the living God.  In doing so we recall the sacrifice He made for us on the cross.

So yes, I will once again give up drinking pop.  In fact, I’ve cut back on my cola consumption since January 1 of this year.  But it’s admittedly only a small part of my Lenten plan to strengthen my relationship with God and with others.

I know that some people like to let everyone know what they’re sacrificing, whether it’s for accountability or for sympathy.  Others may declare their Lenten promises to show people that they are actually doing something.

However, I see no need in posting my other Lenten promises and sacrifices here or on Facebook or Twitter for the world to see.   If you want to really know (for whatever reason) what I’m going to be doing for Lent, just ask me.

May we all use these next forty days to strengthen our relationships with our loved ones and with our loving God.  Amen.

Clayton Imoo is husband to Gail and father to sons Sean Isaiah and Jacob Isaac and daughter Kayla Marie.  He has served as the Director of the Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver for the past ten years, helping parishes develop their own youth and young adult ministries.  When not doing ministry, Clay enjoys spending time with his family, playing music, playing sports, playing naptime, and writing blogs on topics such as family, faith, and the Vancouver Canucks.  Learn more about him at http://www.claytonimoo.com or follow him @claytonimoo     

No comments: