Sunday 9 March 2014

March Break Social Justice Ideas

Looking for ideas on what you can do with your students this March Break? Here's a few simple ideas.

1. Do a screening* of the Academy Award director's Girl Rising, an innovative new feature film about the power of education to change a girl and the world featuring star-studded narration cast, then have a discussion about it after:


2. Do a fundraiser and donate the money to a cause your students are passionate about:
  • Purple Potty: Paint an old toilet purple . Tell your church community that there’s a purple potty flushing out hunger all over town . $15 sends the toilet to the yard of the donor’s choosing . $20 gets it removed and the donor gets to pick the next destination . $35 buys “potty insurance”. Make it a competition and award the prestigious “Golden Plunger” to the student who sells the most potty insurance policies.
  • ‘Yarrr’d sale: everyone loves a good yard sale . everyone loves dressing up likes pirates! Combine the two for a golden opportunity to raise funds by selling your old treasures.Your awesome garb will grab the attention of people passing by.
  • Check out the Famine101 resource guide at famine.ca for more ideas

3. Bring water to the well: Feel the difficulties people face in getting clean drinking water . Put a large bucket or drum somewhere in your school, church, or community centre, far away from a tap. Have your group fill it using only a small drinking bottle they carry back and forth from the tap. You could even turn this into a race.

4. Volunteer locally: Help out at a local soup kitchen or nursing home. You could also collect cans for a local food bank. 

Proverbs 29:7 "The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern."

*To borrow a copy of Girl Rising feel free to reach out to one of our World Vision Youth Canada Coaches:

About me: I live a pretty simple life... trying to love God and treat others as good as myself... I epically fail at this but mercifully God loves me anyway... different cultures inspire me... the outdoors is my passion... I'm pursuing my MDIV / Masters in Counselling at Tyndale... I spent 22+ years in the skate / snowboard / entertainment / marketing / retail industry at the executive level... led the charge at West 49/Billabong for 12 of them... I've worked in youth ministry leadership roles for more years then I can count.. after many moons in the corporate world I switched to the dark side and am currently the Manager of Youth & Student Campaigns at World Vision Canada... but more then anything I love giving my heart to mentoring and helping youth! #lovelife #dreambig #keepitreal #socialjustice #jesusjustice I/T @cindymielke  facebook.com/cindymielke

No comments: